Published on Monday 24 May, the 2021 annual report of the European OceanSET project is available online. The results were officially presented during a dedicated webinar organised by ETIP Ocean on Wednesday 26 May. The report provides an overview of the progress made in the ocean energy sector in Europe based on data collected in 2019.
- 9 Member States have an ocean energy policy.
- Ocean Energy received €42.7M funding from Member States.
- 127 ocean energy projects were funded, nearly 60% of which concern wave energy devices.
- 25 ocean energy projects were identified as TRL 7 or above.
- Test sites enabling demonstration can be found in almost all of the Member States.
- The supply chain in most Member States is considered self-sufficient or well complemented.
An urgent need still remains to reduce the time necessary for permitting and consenting in order to favour and develop a competitive ocean energy industry in Europe.
Further work is required in every Member State to develop an appropriate understanding of the current supply chain provision, the requirements of the ocean energy sector, and the actions necessary to close the gaps which may exist.
Image credit : Hans / Pixabay