Despite a significant offshore experience coming from the O&G industry, several specificities of offshore renewable energy systems induce uncertainties of their subsea dynamics. Today, as any emerging technology, the efforts are focused on the system efficiency and robustness as part of the design stage. Very few works are dedicated to the in-service follow-up and the maintenance strategy which represent a critical point both technically and financially for the very next commercial farms. The development of a numerical tool to optimise submerged systems and reduce uncertainties on fatigue life would facilitate the operation of floating wind farms.
To optimise and plan maintenance operations, but also making submerged systems more reliable, by developing a digital twin solution comprising two sub-modules:
- A mooring lines health monitoring software, developed by France Energies Marines, that will be offered to a floating wind farms operator for further customisation and deployment on a floating wind turbine pilot project,
- A subsea vision software, developed by Cervval, to provide an automated processing for the recognition and improvement of underwater vision.
- Detection of anomalies on mooring system and calculation of remaining fatigue life time for mooring components by using time domain simulations coupled with state-of-the-art numerical techniques.
- Methodology development for mooring system critical parameters identifications and sensors deployment strategy.
- Development of an algorithm for images analysis based on texture recognising in degraded visual conditions.
- In-laboratory images tests with controlled visual conditions.
- Sea trials of images on a static device in real condition including biofouling aspects.
- Mooring lines health monitoring software to be deployed in the framework on a floating wind turbine pilot project.
- Methodology for assessment of subsea components dynamic models based on both physical and mathematical approaches.
- In-laboratory images database in different degraded conditions.
- Images database at sea in real conditions.
- Digital twin demonstrator based on a floating wind turbine design.
This project is led by Cervval.
Photo credit: Yohann Boutin