- Reference : FEM-SAS-2021-267
- Localisation: Brest (29) - France Energies Marines
- Download the offer
ORE is a developing sector in a highly competitive energy context. The derisking and optimisation of the technologies developed are essential to make the produced energy competitive.
In addition, offshore wind farms will be installed further and further from the coast, which corresponds to sites with greater water depths, and therefore leads to the selection of floating concepts, which are more competitive than land-based technologies. These floaters must therefore be anchored, and the mooring system must be optimised in order to seek the most competitive solutions, while ensuring the integrity of the system positioning.
In this context, France Energies Marines is looking for a research engineer capable of identifying, formulating and carrying out R&D actions relating to the design and installation of innovative mooring systems, hydrodynamics of moored floaters, characterisation of the behavioural laws of the materials used in the mooring components and the in-service monitoring of these components.
To develop this activity, it is essential to know how to federate the relevant industrial and academic actors to establish collaborative R&D tasks, and to have transversal skills: expertise in numerical modelling of the dynamics of mooring lines, expertise in the design of mooring systems, their installation and in-service monitoring, in statistical processing of meteorological data, as well as skills in computer development for the implementation of tools for analysing measured data, or directly for numerical codes to improve or implement new laws of behaviour of materials.
Within the R&D team and under the authority of the Head of the Design and In-Service Monitoring of ORE Systems R&D Programme, the research engineer in mooring systems will be required to carry out several types of activities:
- Ensuring a technological watch in his/her field of expertise: numerical methods for the simulation of the dynamics of mooring systems, and the development of innovative sensors for in-service monitoring;
- Participating in the development of the Design and In-Service Monitoring of ORE System R&D Programme by ensuring links with other Institutes R&D programmes, and by federating players in the ORE sector in France Energies Marines collaborative projects and identifying promising development paths for the emerging needs of current R&D projects;
- Supervising the activity of this theme: by ensuring a technological watch, by supervising engineers and researchers, by identifying opportunities for innovation, setting up collaborative projects or services, by participating in the implementation and operation of an associated training plan;
- From a technical point of view, a strong contribution to the analysis and identification of the best technical solutions in his/her field of expertise is expected, in particular :
- conducting and/or supervising numerical modelling of mooring systems;
- leading and/or supervising numerical modelling of marine operations for installation or heavy maintenance of offshore wind turbines;
- contributing to and/or supervising the development of codes for the modelling of the behaviour of materials used in innovative mooring systems, or for other applications in France Energies Marines projects requiring the development of numerical tools;
- proposing innovative mooring solutions;
- optimising installation and maintenance solutions for mooring systems;
- optimising heavy maintenance methods for floating wind turbines;
- designing the mooring systems and sensors for the in situ experimental systems of the Institute, planning and monitoring their launch, and ensuring their follow-up during the operation phase;
- contribute to the establishment of France Energies Marines’ technical reference system for marine operations and to the collection of feedback through the Marine Operations Working Group.
Engineering degree or PhD in hydrodynamics, structure or mechanics of materials
Minimum 10 years of experience in a company or a research institution in offshore system mooring, including:
• the practice of offshore operations (planning and execution)
• and possibly, the setting up of collaborative research projects in the ORE sector and the management of research or industrial projects with a significant R&D component
Knowledges and skills
• Numerical modelling of anchoring systems (e.g.: SIMA, Orcaflex, Deeplines)
• Mooring system design and behaviour of structures at sea
• Numerical modelling of marine operations
• In-service monitoring of mooring lines, and associated sensor design
• Statistical data processing
• Knowledge of ORE technologies
• Writing of reports, recommendations, publications in scientific journals
• Organisation, autonomy, strength of proposal, curiosity and perseverance
• Scientific rigor and critical analysis
• Fluency in English language and writing skills
• Ability to conduct meetings with numerous stakeholders
• Good communication skills and ability to gain support
Job : Research engineer in mooring design and marine operations (F/M)
Reference : FEM-SAS-2021-267