- Reference : FEM-SAS-2023-440
- Position type: PhD position
- Duration: 36 month
- Localisation: Brest (29) ENSTA Bretagne and France Energies Marines
- Download the offer
Polyamide ropes are candidate for the shallow-water mooring lines of the future floating offshore wind turbines. Despite several recent studies, the design of these ropes remains an open issue for several reasons and notably some scientific bottlenecks. The PhD will contribute to project BAMOS. This project is the continuity of projects POLYAMOOR and MONAMOOR. It will be carried out in partnership with ENSTA Bretagne and IRDL.
The PhD will focus on a polyamide rope designed for mooring application. It is composed of strands twisted together. Each strand is composed of rope-yarns also twisted together. The mechanical properties are due to the polyamide material and to the frictions between the rope-yarns and the strands.
• Tensile tests on immersed nylon ropes submitted to complex loadings (instrumentation, analysis)
• Friction tests on sub-rope components (design of original devices, instrumentation, analysis)
• Understanding of damage mechanisms under creep and fatigue test (microscopy, X-Ray tomography)
• Identification and validation of a macro-scale behaviour law on experimental tests for several ropes’ scales
• Development of a model of the rope at the meso-scale (strands and rope-yarns) to describe friction and non-linear behaviour
• Finite Elements simulations of ropes and comparison to experimental results for several scales
• Master 2 or engineering school degree: mechanics of materials and structures.
• Finite element code for structure analysis
• Continuum mechanics and large deformation theory
• Computer programming
• Mechanical testing
• Knowledge of ORE systems
• Scientific curiosity, creativity, and a taste for research activities
• Scientific rigor and critical analysis
• Autonomy and organization
• Ability to work as part of a team, in both academic and corporate environments.
• Ability to synthesize, write and speak fluently in English
In accordance with the regulations, priority will be given to people with disabilities who are equally qualified.
Job : PhD Position Understanding of internal mechanisms of nylon fibre rope at different scales (F/M)
Reference : FEM-SAS-2023-440
"*" indicates required fields